Gausman is beginning to remind me of Guthrie

Frobby

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pitches just well enough to not win. You can say he's had poor run support, but the O's fought back to get him the lead and he immediately coughed it up. Guthrie seemed to do that all the time.

Noooooooooooooo! Please don't go over to the dark side!

Take a deep breath and repeat after me: pitcher wins are meaningless. Pitcher wins are meaningless. Pitcher wins are meaningless.

Run support is essential for pitchers and waht they can do as far as attacking hitters.

Kevin Gausman has had pitched to batters for a total of 1,371 Plate Appearances. Of those 1371 PA's only 302 were made when the team had a lead, 569 PA's when Tied and 500 PA's when Behind in the score.

This year he has 30 Plate Apperances while sitting on a lead. He has no lead of greater than two runs, he has given up 5 runs during the time with a lead. Prior to this evenings game he had last pitched with the lead on May 15th

His slash line in 2016 with the lead is .346/.433/.692/1.126 G=3, PA=30, R=5, AB=26, H=9, 2B=1, 3B=1, HR=2, BB=3, SO=3, HBP=1, ROE=1

It could be said he pitches better when not in the lead but tied or behind.

Interesting comp, does make some sense.

Of course I also think that a pitchers career,(not any individual season) win-loss record has some meaning.

I agree. I feel the comp has merit but Gausman's K/BB definitively differentiates him.

Guthrie had some of the best stuff I've ever seen from a guy who wasn't actually a great pitcher.

i don't think Guthrie ever threw 95-98 with a nasty split. Just sayin.

He had quite a hard fastball and I distinctly remember him having 4 pitches average or better. And he was intelligent. And he was well-composed.

He was a Duquette-era find in an era before Duquette's finds.

He probably doesn't pitch well with the lead because he's never used to having one.

I was thinking the same thing. Being behind is his comfort zone. Sort of like the band The Replacements. They were never comfortable with success.

I am not convinced that Gausman has the mental make up to be an ace. He could be a solid #2 or an excellent #3 IMO. I had doubts about this before this season, but his first game against the Rays back on 4/25 just

made me think that even more. He was cruising through that game absolutely dominating the Rays offense, but then he got one bad call from the home plate umpire and fell apart immediately. He even capped it off by

throwing high and tight to one of their hitters and it sure looked intentional to me out of frustration after he gave up a run and walked a guy. In between innings, Gausman was talking with Wallace with a whiny, pouty

outro flailing his arms around. That is just ridiculous. He's not as bad as Wright, but it's far from good. He seems to get rattled way too easy for my taste and once that happens, he loses it for a few batters at least. I

will at least give him credit for generally not having complete meltdowns out there when he gets rattled, but it's what keeps me from thinking that he is some ace in the making.

He's young, there is going to be inconsistencies. Not often does a young guy go out there and dominate so quickly, it can take some time of developing and getting his feet under him. He has some flaws right now, no doubt about it, but the ceiling is still high and at worst we have a very solid #3 type starter. I'm definitely pleased with Gausman. Disappointed he let the lead go, but if you look at run support, he gets very little and that continued tonight.

Archived